Builder J L McMillan began building houses in Dunedin 1886 and later moved to Wellington. In the early 1900s he won the contract to build the Evans Bay Gas Works and a Wellington tramway building. In the mid twentieth century McMillan’s sons James and Lloyd established McMillan Brothers. This firm was responsible for the construction of a number of North Island freezing works and buildings particularly in the Manawatu. In World War Two the firm was co-opted by the government to construct the Ohakea Airforce Hangars. Robert Lockwood became a company director in 1950 and in 1967 the company became McMillan and Lockwood as it remains today.